Friday, May 24, 2013

Food for Thought and A Rose Salmon

  I just got home from a shift at the vineyard with some food on my mind. But before I get to today's awesome recipe (for you wine foodies out there) picture this if you will- You are at a busy bar and you order a shot of tequila or a shot. Your at this point expecting your bartender to pour and move on, but he stops in front of you and starts to tell you how your drink was made, the sugar amounts, recipes with this drink, where it is from, what different process they used to make this drink. You see how busy he is and yet he stopped to talk to you and communicate with you. Surely you will tip him at LEAST 20% of the bill, if not more! But now your at that same pub the bartender does the usual pours you his drink and moves on. He was not exceptionally fast and even seemed to ignored you some times when you were trying to grab his attention. Now your probably going to tip him 10%-15% right? Well us wine tasters sometimes have parties of 40-30 people by ourselves doing 1 hour presentations pouring them (the equivalent) of 5-6 shots worth of wine. We make about the same hourly as a bartender would make... and yet we are lucky to walk out with 10$ in your pocket (today I walked out with 15$! The most yet?!) Now don't take this as me as complaining. I love my job and I actually don't expect tips. If you did a tasting with me and didn't tip me I would not be surprised one bit... most people don't. But why is this the normal? Trust me when I say most tasters do not expect tips, though when ever I do a tasting for someone in the industry they always tip me. So next time you do a tasting- leave a tip... doesn't need to match your bill... it can be a little bit just to say thank you for taking the time to make a connection with me and not just walking on by. So please, start a trend- tip your taster :)
 
     Ok so today's recipe I kind of played around with I call it Rose Salmon (I don't know how to get the tilde over the e but its the wine not the flower).:
-First you soak your salmon in lime juice and Rose (use a VERY dry Rose not a sweet one, the one I used was a blend of Tannat, Petit Verdot, and Fer Servado)
-Then pepper it and put it on the grill. Add some lemon citrus for touch and then sever with the Rose you merindaded it in!
I will be adding pictures soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment