Sunday, June 23, 2013

CT wine trail

So I have so much to report from CT wines and was excited to get out of the VA trails for a bit. My grandmother was more then excited to show me around the CT wine trail, since she has been to a few. I think CT in general should have a little more pride in their wines. People (even at the tastings) would say well we aren't VA we can't do big reds because of the climate. Well so what?! That is fine with me, it is summer and as much as I do love me some high tannic grapes I was in the mood for sweet whites and light bodied reds which is exactly what I got with CT wines.

The first stop I found out was close by where I was staying and my Grandma never heard of it- Savino Vineyards and since it was so close we decided to make it our first stop. I asked if they did industry tastings (I have gotten industry out of state before) and they gave me very weird looks. I guess its not done much, but they (and every one we went to) gave me free tastings. Savino had 5 wines to try (all reds apparently sold out of their whites). The vineyard itself was very tiny and they only had 2 whites anyway so I kept my spirits high. Then they came out with a complimentary chacutirie plate with fresh tomato mozzarella salad and meats, which was awesome. Their reds were ok, like I told my grandma nothing I wouldn't have a glass of but not really any I would buy a bottle of. I was a little disappointed because the taster told me the title of the wine and that was all. The only exception was their 2010 Cabernet Franc- I LOVED IT! It was peppery and light tannic yet could hold on its own with out food. Grandma and I both agreed that this was the best one and I ended up buying a bottle for my boyfriend. For those of you that have tasted with me a couple times know I am not a Cab Franc fan at all, this being said I do think CT does better Cab Francs then us.

My grandma was very excited to take me to the next one claiming it's beauty made the 30 min trip worth it so I thought why not?! Gouveia Vineyards was breathtakingly beautiful and by far the most beautiful vineyard I have ever seen. It sat on top the beautiful hill and we were there right at sunset. Their wine could of been crappy for all I could care the view itself put me in a state of excitement. Luckily for Gouveia their wine didn't disappoint. My taster was a young girl who didn't know much and I felt like I was annoying trying to find out a lot about their wines, but she was friendly enough to get me the tasting notes that showed acidity and RS in wines. Their reds were nothing crazy rememberable but all worth the price. Oh speaking of price- CT wine by bottle were much more inexpensive then a bottle of VA, but tastings and by the glass are much more expensive then VA. Their whites though were awesome- much sweeter then VA whites but I enjoyed it. I bought a blend of Vidal Blanc, Treminette, Sevyal Blanc called Stone House White.

Though the view at Gouevia was breathtaking and I could of stayed their till close, I was so happy to go to Paradise Springs for the best tasting experience I have had in a while. This my cork dork goes to show you how a taster alone can change your opinion of a vineyard a lot. The wines at Paradise were interesting and different which if you know me is my thing. Something uncommon and different- I got a lot of apple notes in their whites. Grandma and I were lucky enough to have our tasting by the owner of the vineyard Al or as he called himself the president. I tell you I could of sat for hours and talked to Al about wine. He was so knowledgable and taught me so much of CT wines. I finally start to feel like I got to understand the wine industry their. He loved my grandma and I and told me he was going to come to VA and visit my winery. We were there around close and we were taking a long time I felt bad, but then he said wait let me have you try these wines we haven't even released yet! It was awesome! He let me try his wine (known as Presidents choice) which I told my grandma in a line up of reds this would be my favorite. It had dark berry and current flavors, light bodied with a little bit of evernessence. Al couldn't tell me what grapes were in it "Family Secret" but I told him as soon as its released and I am in town I would buy a bottle. I should of asked if they shipped... it was that good! I decided after all his hospitality (and giving me a free tasting) I couldn't leave with out buying a bottle of one of those appley whites. I told him I was going to buy a bottle of the Trablano Blanco and took out my credit card, and he said "put that away your money is no good here" My jaw could of hit the floor I have gotten free tastings and free glasses but never a free bottle. I felt so bad that I walked out without buying a thing, but I will be back and I will tell you readers. Paradise Springs is the place to visit if your ever in the area and Gouevia is right next door so it is worth the drive.

So I ended up getting 3 bottles one from each vineyard from CT. You go CT! You are ok in my book and I would love to visit even more Vineyards.


No comments:

Post a Comment